Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Interview: Maria Confer (Lulu Letty), cute drawings, handmade bows and red lips with a vintage style.

I could say lots of things about Maria: as a blogger, as the designer of lovely handmade bows, as a woman with a great style or as a drawer... but first of all, I consider Maria as a friend. And I want to say that because, when I started blogging, for me, was strange get in touch with a person that is miles and miles away from me, a person I haven't met in person. But Maria gives you confidence and friendship with her kind comments and appreciations.

I can't remember when I started to follow Maria, but I read her blog every single day. I love her posts about DIY, music (she's got an excellent taste), outfits, drawings and outfits; and how she shares her life piece by piece with us.

So, I'm sure you all know some things about Maria, that vintage lover who makes lovely drawings of herself, dogs or gorgeous people... but...

Who's Maria Confer?
Q: Thank you so much, Maria, for letting me ask you this questions... first of all, could you please tell us who you are and a brief description of you? 
A: My name is Maria, I’m 28, I live in Michigan with my husband, Cole, and our two dogs, Wellington and Pippin.

Q:  What do you do? What do you like to dedicate? 
A: I’m mostly a blogger than a drawer and then an Etsy shop owner. I love to dedicate my time to sewing, reading and relaxing with Cole.

Q: That sounds really good! Can you talk a little about your interests? 
A: Hmm, I feel like my interests are all pretty common. I love music, movies, art, books, photography and most importantly fashion.

 Some of Maria's drawings, I adore these lovely dogs!

Q: Tell us a book, an album and a movie without which you could not live. 
A: Tough question. For a book, I would have to say The Catcher in the Rye. I read it in high school during a really hard time in my life. It helped me realize that other people had screwed up lives too. Plus, I loved how much Holden cursed. ;) An album that’s really important to me is The Beatles, Please Please Me. It opened my eyes to amazing music, classic rock and the ’60s. A movie I can’t live without would be Clueless. It made such a huge impression on me when I was 14. It made me want to live a life of fashion.



Q: I think that film changed me too when I was a teenager... Would you share with us a memory that makes you smile? 
A: Meeting my husband for the first time as freshmen in college.

Q: Wow, that's really lovely, and I'm sure that Cole would blush if he reads this! Congratulations, Cole! ;) So, continuing with this... have you got any favourite quote? 
“That sounds like dancing!” from The Philadelphia Story.


Q: At what age did your get interested in the fashion world? 
A: Very young. I was about three years old when I used to put on my Mrs Potato Head jewellery, lips, glasses and purse and walk around feeling fabulous.

Q: Could you explain to us a bit about what has been the evolution of your image?
A: It’s gone through many incarnations. From hippie to punk to extremely preppy to now a very classic vintage preppy style with a dash of menswear.


 Q: Punk? Wow, I really would love to see that! How would you describe your actual style? 
A: Classic preppy with a twist.

Q: What inspired you to choose your clothes? Do you follow a pattern to match your clothes or just choose randomly?
A: I choose what I love and go from there. I try to find items that would transition smoothly into my wardrobe, but sometimes I take major risks and buy things I never would have thought I would love, like high waist anything.

Q: Where do you usually get your clothes? Do you customize or sew any garment for you? 
A: I usually buy my clothes from ModCloth, Urban Outfitters, eBay, Etsy and the Salvation Army. I’m only just starting to sew my own clothes and it’s a slow-going process, but I love it.

Q: Have you got any special obsession (like shoes, bows, skirts...)? 
A: Hair bows, hats, belts and Seychelles shoes.

 
Q: Why do you like vintage clothes? Do you think that kind of clothes is special? 
A: I love vintage pieces because they’re usually one of a kind. Plus, they instantly transport you to another time.
Q: Any tips for people who want to buy vintage clothes? 
A: Go to your local thrift/charity store and spend time searching through the racks. It’s amazing the awesome things you’ll find.

Q: When and why did you decide to start writing a blog? 
A: I started my blog in late fall 2008. It was a place for me to post my finished drawings. I only had one follower, my friend Jen. Then in late May 2009, I stumbled upon fashion blogging and everything changed. I couldn’t believe that I hadn’t noticed this huge community before.

Q: What do you want to express with your blog? Do you think it adds anything to the people who read it? 
A. I want to express my own take on fashion from my personal perspective. I know that not everyone is going to like it, but I have to stay true to myself. I think when people read my blog they get the sense of understanding my tastes and where I’m coming from.


 Q: What do you feel when someone says you are his/her inspiration? What would you say to those people?
A: I feel flabbergasted. It seriously amazes me every day that people actually read and enjoy my blog. It was a pipe dream to be where I am now and I pinch myself all the time that I’m lucky enough to have such supportive and lovely readers. So I say to them, Thank You So Much, I adore you!

Q: Tell us a tip for your readers (a tip for their lives, for the fashion bloggers' world or whatever you want to say to them). 
A: Hmmm, my tip is to be yourself in both life and blogging. You may not get very many followers to start with, but soon people will realize how wonderful your unique perspective is and if they don’t, then it’s their loss.



All pictures were made by Cole, thank you so much!!

Thank you so much for that lovely tip and this interview, Maria! It was a pleasure making this! You're so adorable, and I hope one of these days we would make a lovely coffee together, talking about music, art and bows... who knows?

And thanks to all of you for reading this, did you like it? :)

17 comments :

  1. Ohhh, Maria is so cuuuute! I love her style and her photos! :D
    Very good interview! xoxo ;*

    ReplyDelete
  2. super cute ^^ es agradable la chica, y sobre todo real.

    Por cierto voy a unir mi blog personal con el de princess corner, pasate a mi blog para ver el anuncio.

    Cuidate!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm a huge Maria fan girl, too. thanks for this interview. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely interview! I love her blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Qué guays los dibujos del perrito!
    (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's a wonderful interview! maria is really amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jo, que muchacha tan mona *3*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great interview! Maria is such a nice woman! And not posh or anything!

    SHE IS GREAT <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely interview! Maria is very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovely interview ^^ i love her photos :3

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh, she seems amazing. and so is your blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks again Libs! You're such a lovely friend.

    XOXO

    Maria

    Lulu Letty

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, Maria is a great and lovely person!

    ReplyDelete
  14. no need to say i ADORE Maria !

    ReplyDelete
  15. I protest against it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog and for your lovely comments, I will comment you back as soon as I can!