Tuesday, June 02, 2020

Indrolita Couture: A Dark Romance


Indrolita Couture

Photo session with Hats by Issis Starlust
Photos by Peachy Pitch

Dark and romantic, like a Victorian image, surrounded by mystery and decadent beauty. Indrolita Couture is Verónica, a Catalan designer in love with past times and Victorian mourning that with each meticulously hand-sewn piece gives us a work of art. Her style, also notably influenced by the figure of Mana (Malice Mizer), presents a mix of patterns and periods but focuses on providing simple and elegant garments with a dark and decadent touch.

Indrolita Couture

I am lucky to count Veronica as a great friend whom I have known for many years, back in the dawn of Lolita fashion in Spain. She always seemed to me a kind and humble person, willing to help you and delighted to create for you unique and special pieces. In all the years I have known her and ordered her clothes, she has never disappointed me, on the contrary, she has never ceased to amaze me. That is why I want to share my love for Indrolita Couture with all of you.
I hope you love it as much as I do.

indrolita Couture
♥ When did you first become interested in Lolita fashion and at what point did this lead to wanting to have your own clothing brand?
I discovered Lolita fashion in my teens, thanks to a Manga magazine. It caught my attention because it resembled the image of series like Candy Candy. In addition, at that time I already knew the Malice Mizer band, and it struck me that Mana, one of the forerunners of that style, wore this type of clothing.

Little by little I started to create my own clothes, as more than 10 years ago it was difficult to get this type of clothing in Spain. I also started creating some clothes for close friends and after studying, I decided to create the brand.

For my training, I studied fashion design in a private school here, while for pattern making I took a Higher Degree in Pattern Making and Fashion. Although I have to say that what has helped me the most has been observation and practice.


Indrolita Couture

Photosession with Hats by Issis Starlust
Photos by Trinity of Unity

Indrolita Couture


♥ Where does the inspiration to create your pieces come from?

I usually take inspiration from past times such as the Rococo and Victorian eras. From the Rococo I love its refilling and ostentation; and from the Victorian era, I take the silhouette as, although they were quite elaborate garments, already began to seem simpler to the eye, even more comfortable. I take all this inspiration and then I adapt it to the Lolita fashion.

On the other hand, I like to add a dark touch with mourning and lately with religious subjects, especially nuns. I think that I am adding interest in similar themes, due to my growing obsession to go more and more covered. I'm making garments that are longer to the ankles and long sleeves, even I'm always looking for headgear to cover and shelter the head. For that, I sometimes like to colaborate with different brands like Hats by Issis Starlust, Birds & Fresia or Ebony & Ivory.


♥ What about references?  Is there something or someone that can you take as a muse?

I've been very influenced always by classics such as Dracula and Frankenstein, especially the movies. Also, I have had in mind some Japanese brands such as Moi-Même-Moitié and Alice Auaa, the first one for their elegance and the second one for the decadence of their designs. Finally, I've also been influenced by the "street style", from magazines such as the Kera and the mythical Gothic and Lolita Bible, where you could see in their street style section how people mixes various styles.


♥ Something I've always wondered is, where does the signature "Indrolita" come from?

That's a good one! And it has a very easy explanation: years ago the mix of styles was called "Industrial Lolita" and from that concept, I got the name "Indrolita". It's that simple!


Indrolita Couture

Indrolita Couture

Hat by Ebony & Ivory


♥ How is the process of creating your pieces, from the initial sketch to the final result?

I must admit that I don't follow the usual process for my creations since I usually start from the fabrics that I have or that are easy to get in the stores that I usually buy the materials. From these textiles, I choose the theme and begin to sketch the designs, focusing on the silhouettes and/or decorations that they will have. Finally, I take the step of choosing the size and making its pattern and clothing.


♥ How do you execute the selection of materials?

I usually buy both fabrics and trimmings in physical stores in and around Barcelona, ​​including in antique markets. I have always preferred that fabrics enter by sight, but especially touch so that you know that it's a fabric that can be worked with and that has a quality so that it is durable. I don't usually use prints, but rather brocade or similar stuff, I think they are easier to use for the type of clothing that I design.


Indrolita Couture

Photo session with Hats by Issis Starlust
Photos by Peachy Pitch


Do you consider Indrolita a sustainable brand in any sense?

It can be considered sustainable in the fact that they're almost unique garments, due to the amount of fabric and trim that I usually use. I sew everything by myself (by hand and machine), which is a very artisan job. I don't do serial design, and I buy the materials from the local business, always looking for natural and durable supplies.

The only thing that I cannot assure is if in the manufacture of the fabrics they fulfil those requirements since in the stores and places where I purchase it does not indicate it, but otherwise, I think it is quite sustainable.


Indrolita Couture
Photos by Peachy Pitch


What has been your favourite creation or project so far?

Although I really enjoy creating Lolita garments, I must say that among my favourite projects is the making of Victorian-style dresses. In order to make this type of pieces, I relied not only on the Victorian garment design itself but also took influences from the dress Mana wears in Beast of Blood.


Indrolita Couture

Collaboration with the talented Olesya Parfenyuk

Indrolita Couture

What can you tell us about the future of the brand?
The future is so uncertain right now! At the moment I will go to the events postponed by COVID-19, such as Lolita in Green Gables and the Kera Catalana fashion event, in which both will present new garments.

As for projects, I have a dream pending, and that is that I would like to leave sometime the design of collections so I can be able to dedicate myself upon making garments for cinema, theatre and even musical groups. I've already started to take some baby steps and I've made some pieces for a band, but I would like to prepare myself more and take a specialized course here in Barcelona in order to have the proper training and have a new start as a brand. Who knows, maybe I could work for the big stage attire companies!


Indrolita Couture


And I hope these dreams come true, my dear Verónica!
Thank you so much for taking some time to answer my questions. I cannot wait to see what comes next to you, but I wish you a brilliant future.


All photos are used under the permission of Indrolita Couture



Indrolita Couture

Indrolita Couture


4 comments :

  1. I never knew that all Indrolita Couture dresses were sewn by hand, that is incredible! That puts all of Veronica's designs in a new light for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm gonna make a clarification there because I meant by herself and not in a factory (I made the literal translation from Spanish, that would by "by hand"); but yes, she sews everything by herself, all the little details are made by hand and the regular lining by machine. If you order something from her with your measures she makes a pattern for you, and the level of details that she adds to her designs is simply amazing <3

      Delete
  2. My friend gave me a skirt from Indrolita some years ago, and it is gorgeous! I am so happy to be able to know more about the brand! Thank you so much for your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Verónica is really talented, a true artist! So glad you have one of her pieces!

      Delete

Thanks for reading my blog and for your lovely comments, I will comment you back as soon as I can!