Monday, March 02, 2020

A trip back in time (part II)

Hey there, stranger.

I owed you this entry for some weeks now, just to show you how this trip ended, right? Where was I? Oh, yes, on a boat! Follow me to continue this adventure...


So our boat trip took us to our next stop in the city of Enkhuizen: the Zuiderzeemuseum! I didn't know what to expect here, but I must say I was really pleased with what I found there.

Enkhuizen, located up north from Alkmaar, was one of the harbour-towns of the Dutch East India Company, from where overseas trade with the East Indies was conducted. There you can find the Zuiderzeemuseum, located on Wierdijk in the historic centre of Enkhuizen, and devoted to preserving the cultural heritage and maritime history from the old Zuiderzee region. The museum has two parts: an indoor building and an outdoor village that was opened back in the 70s. Here is where we started our visit!







I love a museum where you can visit old houses from the country you're at, and the outdoor part of the Zuiderzeemuseum is about that! Most of the buildings here are original and where transported piece by piece to this location from other parts of The Netherlands, so they could recreate an old village in the most realistic possible way. 







My favourite building was, of course, the pharmacy, where they had a lovely collection of antiques related to the job and some gapers (figureheads with their mouths open that use to be hanged outside pharmacies). 










But you could also find a blacksmith, a little supermarket, a school and much more buildings in this place. If it wasn't because of the heat, we would have stayed there for more hours!













It was around half past three when we decided to walk to the indoor museum (where hopefully we could be more fresh due to the air conditioning) and see also some nice art and furniture while being there. The indoor museum is not far away from the outdoor one, and it's located in an old building that was also used sometimes by the Dutch East India Company.









By the time the museum was closing (here in The Netherlands most of the museums close around five or six in the afternoon, quite important to know for planning your visits!) we decided to have a bite and head back home after this long and hot day. I still cannot believe I didn't get burned by the Sun (thank you, sunscreen, never forget to wear it especially during summer!!) and that we could do this amount of things in just one day, but yes, we nailed it!

I really hope this little guide was useful for you if you plan to visit this area. It's a day trip worth it to do!




1 comment :

  1. This is amazing!
    I got curious about those heads with open mouths, I will search more about it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog and for your lovely comments, I will comment you back as soon as I can!