Thursday, July 04, 2013

Dark sounds: Nitch


Last week was quite musical: I went to see The Smashing Pumpkins at Razzmatazz (chronic here) on Friday we were listening to Havaneras on the beach while we ate sardines (unmistakable symbol that summer has started for me) and I attended at Saturday to the presentation of the teaser Jo Mai, which in turns to be the new video for the band from Barcelona NITCH.

La semana pasada fue bastante musical: fui a ver a The Smashing Pumpkins a Razzmatazz (crónica aquí), el viernes estuvimos viendo Havaneras en la playa mientras comíamos sardinas (símbolo inequívoco de que ya ha empezado el verano para mí) y el sábado asistí a la presentación del teaser Jo Mai, el cual a su vez es el nuevo videoclip de la banda barcelonesa NITCH. 






Nitch are Helio, Bruno and Victor (whom I met at Primavera Sound this year), who began their musical adventure in 2007 when Helio and former drummer Hector met to compose songs. Later they were joined by Victor, and began working on what would be their first demos. In 2010 they released their first EP and now have been involved in the preparation of the second one.

Nitch son Helio, Bruno y Víctor (a quien conocí en el Primavera Sound de este año), quienes comenzaron su aventura musical en el 2007 cuando Helio y el anterior baterista de la banda, Héctor, se reunieron para componer temas. Más tarde se les unió Víctor, y comenzaron a trabajar en lo que serían sus primeras maquetas. En 2010 sacaron su primer EP y ahora mismo se hayan inmersos en la preparación del segundo. 








If I had to define the sound of the band, I could sum it up in intense and powerful. From the very first moment they engage you with the sound of their guitars and the low base od the bass that invites you to dance and move with their songs. One thing I liked a lot of their live show was how they distorted sounds, creating an atmosphere of chaotic sounds that accompanied the play of light and background images. At some point they reminded me to a cross between Tool and Sonic Youth, but more danceable (or so I thought in my head).

Si tuviera que definir el sonido de la banda, creo que podría resumirlo en intenso y potente. Desde el primer momento te enganchan al sonido de sus guitarras y a la base de bajo que te invita a bailar y a moverte con sus temas. Algo que me gustó muchísimo de su directo fue el cómo distorsionaban los sonidos, creando una atmósfera de caos sonoro que acompañaba a los juegos de luces y las imágenes proyectadas de fondo. En algún momento me recordaron a una mezcla entre Tool y Sonic Youth, pero más bailables (o al menos éso me apreció a mí en mi cabeza). 






The next July 19 Nitch band will be playing at Poble Sec in Barcelona If you are here, I recommend you to come and see them ;)

El próximo 19 de Julio los chicos de Nitch estarán tocando en las fiestas de Poble Sec. Si estáis por Barcelona, os recomiendo venir a verlos ;)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog and for your lovely comments, I will comment you back as soon as I can!