Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Ons' Lieve Heer op Solder | Our Lord in the Attic

Hey there, stranger. 

How are you coping with all the coronavirus situation these days? By the time you read this, the Dutch government would have made new announcements let's see what they say this time... 

But while we wait on that, let me take you with me to one of the most fascinating places I've visited so far here in The Netherlands.


I wanted to write about Ons' Lieve Heer op Solder for a long time now since is my favourite museum in Amsterdam and a must if you come by and want to see something different. 
Our day started taking the train to Amsterdam (it takes about 35 min from Alkmaar to Amsterdam, by the way) and a nice walk around the city. We visited the World Press Photo Exhibition at the Nieuw Kerk and enjoyed a long walk to the Oude Kerk and the Red Light District.











It is there where you find the entrance to Ons' Lieve Heer op Solder (Our Lord in the Attic). From outside looks so normal that I didn't bother to take a photo since I didn't know what was it about and it didn't look like something spectacular. We got our tickets and walked to the basement, where our tour began. 


 

Ons' Lieve Heer op So is located in a four-window wide house from the Dutch Golden Age (1630 approx.) that looks like an ordinary canal house from the outside. In the 18th century, the top façade was trimmed from a classicist neck gable into a spout gable. A special feature is that there is no lifting beam at the front. The house was bought in 1661 by stocking merchant Jan Hartman. He had it renovated and the beautiful interior dates from this period. 





And then, out of blue... BAM!


You're in a church located on the third floor of the house! A schuilkerk (hidden church)! This church, dedicated to Sint Nicolaas, was created in the time after the Reformation when Catholics were no longer allowed to hold public Holy Masses.






While it was prohibited to celebrate mass in public spaces, the authorities turned a blind eye on hidden churches like this. Indeed, the church symbolises the characteristic (religious) tolerance of the Netherlands, established by the Dutch in the sixteenth century under Willem of Orange. 





You can find around the museum beautiful paintings and sculptures by different artists, such as the statue of St. Nicholas, the Allegory of Faith by Eglon van der Neer, Joseph and His Brothers by Nikolaus Knüpfer or The Entombment of Christ by Johannes Voorhout among much more.







Another thing that I loved was the beautiful views from the inside of the house to the canals and the roofs of Amsterdam. It kind on makes you travel back in time and imagine how life was back in the day when parishioners went to mass and secretly entered this mystical place.

Also, I love a good museum with old furniture and rooms that look exactly like it was back in the day, and for this Ons' Lieve Heer op Solder doesn't disappoint at all.







We finished the day having a bite at Mr Meatball, a tiny place where you can guess what is the main star of the menu... Yes, meatballs.




And back home! Since I visited this place I consider myself a devout from Our Lord in the Attic as I'm not a religious person but I love a good church or cathedral because of its architecture; so if that's your case too, I highly recommend to visit this place and any of the other schuilkerken in the Netherlands!

Stay safe and until next time!


1 comment :

Thanks for reading my blog and for your lovely comments, I will comment you back as soon as I can!